The power station was a boiler complex, the projects scope involved the removal of all structures, tanks, boilers, turbines etc, the machines allocated to the project included the use of a 30t & 60t high reach excavators, these were fitted with a combination of attachments & heavy lifting equipment.
The contract comprised the complete demolition of the power station to ground level & the disposal of all asbestos contained material off the island of Cyprus.
Client: Electricity Authority of Larnaca, Cyprus
Contract: Decommissioning, Demolition, asbestos removal & site clearance
Contract start/end date: 2000 – 2002
Total project value: $4,000,000.00
Part of the contract was to completely clear the site, this included the removal of 370 tonnes of asbestos waste materials, these were then containerised & shipped for disposal in Europe, this was carried out under full legislated methods & involved a full time independent analyst to check, monitor & issue clearance certificates throughout the operation, all areas were reduced to small operating zones with individual enclosures erected for each area within each zone.
As with any contract completed, the project manager will issue the client with all the relevant documentation:
- Demolition drawings, which were superimposed over footprints of the sites
- All service capping locations
- All services that remained in the ground on completion of the project
- Other uncovered structures/ apparatus discovered during foundation removal
- Location of adjoining structures
- Completed construction phase plan
- Copies of all risk assessments & method statements as well as final revisions