The demolition of the decommissioned gas holders and clean-up of the surrounding land is part of National Grids commitment to bringing redundant sites back into use.
Works were carried out using X3 944 Liebherr machines fitted with attachments and a 906 Liebherr attached with magnet and grapple.
Client: National Grid Property Holdings Limited
Contract: Decontamination, Demolition and Asbestos Removal
Contract Start/End: 2017 – 2018
Contract Value: £500,000.00
Scope of Works
The various works included;
- Demolition and deconstruction of two redundant gas holders; one below ground spiral guided gas holder and one above ground spiral guided gas holder.
- De-watering and de-sludging under controlled discharge conditions, working with a specialist sub-contractor.
- Removal of non-notifiable and notifiable asbestos containing materials.
- Minimising environmental noise, dust and vibration to protect employees, neighbouring properties and adjacent rail line.
- Close liaison with Network Rail was essential due to the close proximity of a live rail line.
- A ‘live’ pressure reducing station was present on site and only a matter of metres from the workface. Carrying out the works required close liaison with National Grid and Cadent engineers, ensuring prior approval was obtained.
The site was surrounded by both commercial and residential properties and to the north a live railway station. TDS worked closely with all stakeholders to ensure minimum disruption throughout the works.
As with any contract completed, the project manager will issue the client with all relevant documentation:
- As demolished drawings (superimposed over footprint of the site)
- All service capping locations
- All services that remain in the ground on completion of project
- Other uncovered structures/ apparatus discovered during foundation removal
- Location of adjoining structures
- Completed construction phase plan
- Copies of all risk assessments and method statements (final revisions)